Sunday, November 18, 2007

Change


The Columbia River in Wenatchee Valley last week.

I arrived in Cleveland, Ohio a few days ago. I don't have any pictures yet, so the one above is from last week's vacation. On Friday night I spoke with my Dad and Stepmom's "K-group." This is a group of people from their church with whom they've been meeting every other week. It was a very interesting group of people, several of whom had done short-term mission trips -- primarily in the States, but also outside of the country. The best part was when I was told a few times that I had done so much: medicine, travel, different jobs, etc. When this happens I am reminded that I was a very different person in high school (the last time I lived here), before taking Christ and his love and purpose and forgiveness so seriously.

In my community group last month we were assigned to write in 100 words or less how our lives had changed due to the love of God. I wrote the following: In high school I was very judging and critical of other people. This really came out of a deep insecurity – I was lonely and looking for acceptance, but that was hard to find when I was so critical of others. Over many years of searching, reading the Bible and praying, I decided to accept what God said about me, and I really met Jesus in a personal way. Since then I have a deep sense of being loved, accepted, and I know that I have a purpose. I also really love and value other people.

Now, it's not that I'm not ever judging or angry. In fact, it's incredible how being back with family and in my hometown can switch me somewhat into that mode -- and I've only been here three days! But there is a point below which I do not go, because I know at my core that I am loved, accepted, and have a purpose. I may sometimes act the old way, but I can go back to the source of life and be renewed in this love and truth.

I spoke at my Mom's church today, a brief "Minute for Missions." Afterwards at coffee hour I met the mother of someone I'd known in grade school. Yet again I remembered the deep-seated anger that characterized my "early years." This remembrance of who I was, who I am now, and who I am becoming, is so exciting to me. When I speak about ministry with LifeWind, I talk a lot about physical change: protecting sources of clean drinking water, disease prevention, small business development. It's all of a piece: our emotional and spiritual lives either uplift or weigh down our vocational and physical lives, and vice versa.