Thursday, January 8, 2009

Group Dynamics


Beautiful Buenos Aires as seen from a few miles from my apartment.

Recently I met a couple who founded a ministry to people incarcerated in prisons and mental hospitals -- and there is a lot to do! Apparently in Argentina kids can stay with their Moms in prison until they are four years old, but it is a very violent place and the Moms often do not know how to parent, having had poor role models themselves. The HIV rate is 20-40% (depending on the study) in prisons, very different from the rate in the general population, which the CIA World Factbook puts at less than one percent. They showed me a heartbreaking video of the conditions in the psychiatric hospital.

In December our Baradero team had a mini-retreat where we discussed how to work together as a group. One of the techniques we used was the SWOT technique: strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, threats. Very helpful for individuals and groups!

Here's part of our group in Baradero -- they look enthralled at whatever I'm saying, don't they?

Here's what they need -- triple tea from Bolivia -- anise, coca leaves, and chamomile.

Speaking of group dynamics and personalities, I took a test on a friend's blog and it categorized me:

I took the 43 Things Personality Quiz and found out I'm a
Spiritual Organized Tree Hugger





Here's the back of the Baradero bus station where I wait to go back to Buenos Aires.