Thursday, May 7, 2009

Baradero trip

Yesterday morning I got up, went for an early run (I just have to throw that in here, I never go on early morning runs and I'm so excited!), and hopped on the train to go downtown. I walked to the bus terminal where I met Nora, a member of the Baradero team. We had a great 2 1/2-hour ride to Baradero as we caught up on her family, my trip, and the lessons we'll be doing at our next La Plata training -- I think she's slowly warming up to the idea of facilitating a lesson, stay tuned.

We arrived in Baradero and went right to the church which they're now opening for prayer on Wednesdays from 7 am to 2 pm. The sign above is outside the church at these times, it reads: In this place we pray for Baradero. Bring us your request, today we're praying for you. While we were there a local pizza shop owner that Horacio and Silvia know stopped in with his sister-in-law. Shortly thereafter it was time to close up. After 2 pm everyone is siesta-ing in this town. :-)

The rest of yesterday and today were spent meeting and praying together and visiting with people. This morning Horacio and Silvia had a meeting with town organizers where, to make a long story short, it looks like they will finally be given permission to present the program No more violence in the school system. Woo-hoo!

Nora came back to Buenos Aires last night since it was her son's birthday today. As I came back by myself tonight I read the two newspapers I'd bought yesterday on the way to the bus station. El Clarín, for me, is an exercise in attempting to understand Argentine politics. There are so many different terms bandied about that I think it will take me years to even begin to get it. Then I read Il Corriere della Sera to brush up on my Italian. The first several pages dealt with a presidential divorce scandal and the reaction of the Vatican. Not something I would expect in Italy. An interesting juxtaposition was the story on the apparently new frostiness in the relationship between the Ayatollah Khomeini and Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and how that will likely affect the president's political career.