Wednesday, September 30, 2009

A morning in the life of...

A morning in the life of Liz. Actually, my pastor has asked me to film "A Day in the Life of", but the really good days are when I'm traveling and I'm still unsure of how to do that with a videocamera, since everyone here says I will get knifed for it, at least in the city. I'll come up with a safe way to do it, though, and if you go to Epic you'll see the results some day!

Anyway, my mornings start out with a caffeinated beverage, either mate cocido (tea bags of mate) or coffee. Most Argentines heat milk for coffee (not for tea) and so above you see me pouring the milk into my pot on the stove. You can also see a box of matches on the back of the stove -- no pilot lights on the stoves here.

Looking down my stairs to see the mail that came in this morning. It's a bill. Many companies pay workers to distribute the bills rather than send them through the mail, you can see that this one doesn't have an envelope.

The wonderful rocking chair I got in Nicaragua, where I read the Bible and pray in the mornings. With coffee and breakfast, of course. And a blanket since it's still chilly!

Trees outside my window. The one in the foreground is a Chinaberry tree which is very common here. The berries are now falling off and you can see them on my balcony below. The flowering tree seen above is my neighbor's, isn't it stunning?

And, last but not least: since I agree with the philosopher D. Zoolander that there is more to life than being really, really, really, ridiculously good-looking, below are my feet in my freaky-looking Vibrams! Off for a run!

I haven't taken pictures of the train station yet. It's conveniently located only six blocks from my apartment, and drops me off just one block from my church. They've been kind enough to let me use an office at church, which is very helpful for days I'm not traveling. I find it's much easier to concentrate away from home.
Today I'm working on a presentation I'll be giving on Saturday. I've been invited to speak about my ministry at the 33rd anniversary celebration of the Brethren Church's Women's Missionary Committee (CoMFe). Now, I'm neither Argentine nor Brethren, but my supervisor is and last year I met some CoMFe members with her. The work I do in Argentina is ecumenical and I do work with some Brethren missionaries. Actually, the church I attend here in Buenos Aires, although now independent, has Brethren roots.