Monday, January 11, 2010

New Year's Eve

Here are pictures from our New Year's Eve celebration:

Above is the dinner table filled with typical Argentine food, such as cow tongue (with vinegar and onion) and Waldorf salad. I'm not much of a cook so I supplied the ice cream, which was served at 2 am with fruit salad. Earlier we had the traditional sparkling wine toast at midnight, then went out to watch the fireworks up and down the street, followed by SALSA!

Oh, yeah, they tried to teach this seƱorita how to salsa and above you can see the result. Wow. I might have made more of an effort if I had realized that was my camera that Hugo was taking pictures with!

Above you can see me laughing on the side, probably at myself!



Sorry this video is on its side but I couldn't figure out how to right it. It's pretty fun, so I decided to add it to this posting anyway.



I feel pretty much at home here, but have noticed that one of the times I most feel like an outsider is at weddings. While they play a lot of the standard American and British pop songs at wedding receptions the songs that really get people out on the dance floor are the Latino ones (that I don't know).

That's one really fun thing about the majority of the Western hemisphere: while there are lots of different countries and cultures, having a common language (Spanish) helps people to share things. Salsa comes mostly from Cuba and the cumbia we also listened to that night came from Colombia, yet the room was filled with Argentines and Uruguayans (plus yours truly). Here's a link to one of the songs that you can hear on the my videos: Celia Cruz' La vida es un carnaval.