Thursday, August 18, 2011

Unedited and Unbridled

Tonight I'm reading Fil Anderson's "Breaking the Rules":


"For most of my adult life I've believed that nothing was more important than delivering the good news that God is in love with every person in the world. And through his sacrificial death Jesus has earned for us what we could never earn for ourselves; God has provided unconditional forgiveness for all of his creation.


"However, pondering the mystery in Jesus' declaration 'I tell you the truth, wherever the gospel is preached throughout the world, what she has done will also be told, in memory of her' (Mark 14:9) has caused a deep shift inside me. The gospel is meant to produce in me, just as it did in that woman, an unedited and unbridled response to Jesus."


During the past couple of years I've been struck by this woman. She went up to Jesus while he was at someone's house having dinner and poured expensive oinment over him. If I'm called to imitate anyone (other than Jesus) I think it's this woman and Peter. To me they represent two people who really saw Jesus, recognized that he was the pearl of great price, and risked everything -- in fact, saw nothing but truth, reality, and LIFE before them in Jesus and pursued him.