Monday, February 13, 2012

All in all


Three things:

1. I read a little prayer in a tract found at a mall in the early 80s and I asked God to forgive me of my sins. In January of 1992 I sensed the presence of the Holy Spirit. Over the next couple of years I started to learn what it meant to both love and serve God and also to learn the truths about who I really was: loved, significant, made in the image and likeness of God, a person with a purpose. I learned that there was healing for past wounds.
2. At church on Sunday the pastor said that when we talk about God, it shows that we are thinking about God. And when we talk about other things more than God, that shows that God isn't a priority in our life. I've been reflecting on that, particularly tonight when I just wrote a Facebook note that didn't mention God at all except in a song title -- and then only in brackets.
3. I haven't dated since Valentine's Day, seventeen years ago. The only thing really memorable about that relationship was its ironic ending, actually on this holiday. 

What's the relationship between these three items? God is my all in all. Sure, I sometimes take my eyes off of Jesus. Sometimes I forget who I am. But, really, the truth is that God is my all in all.

I hear very frequently that the struggles and joys of marriage and parenting are a significant way for one to grow closer to God. The struggles with our spouse or the challenges of parenting lead us to rely on God more and we learn hard lessons in submission and service. Viewed positively, the relationship with our spouse shows us the miracle of true intimacy, our unqualified love for our children teaches us God's inexhaustible love for us. I don't dispute any of this, and I am glad that God uses marriage and parenting to deepen people's walk with God. Over Christmas, though, I was skimming through a book written by someone in a Bruderhof community. The author mentioned that it says in the Bible that single people are primed to grow close to God. In Paul's first letter to the Corinthians he says that unmarried people can have their attention fully focused on God, undivided, wholly devoted.

How does this play out?  I told someone from my Minnesota church last summer that I had decided that I was going to take more time off because really, I was 40-years-old and it was time to do what I wanted. Now, I didn't know this person very well, and he very appropriately questioned what I meant. I mean:
  • It was for freedom that Christ has set me free. I serve God, and my relationship and service to my supervisor and co-workers is a reflection of that – but not taking the time off that my organization gives me because of fear of disapproval or misunderstandings is not right.
  • God has beautiful ways of doing things, and wants me to live abundantly, spending time with family and friends both in rest and service to them.
  • God has actually designed me to work better with periods of rest, both in the day, week, and year. There is wisdom in living within the rhythms of life.
  • While it is true that I have been created for good works (Ephesians 2:10) I have been created to do these works in multiple contexts, not just at my job.
  • My heart (again, when I'm fully me) is to do what God wills. I have tasted and seen that God is good -- over and over. So when I say that I'm going to do what I want, I mean what God has for me. And remember, it's been just Jesus and me for a long time.
  • Until this earth is fully redeemed/renewed/remade (depending on your eschatology), there will constantly be a lot of work to be done that seems urgent (the Bible seems to indicate work even on the New Earth, but I don't think the sense of urgency will be there). Just because I see a need it does not mean that I am necessarily the one to fill it. My role may be to find the right person to do it. Or weep for the injustice and hardness in the world. Or pray that others will be inspired to get involved. Or wait.
  • God is sovereign, and the work that needs to be done will get done:
1) likely much better if I work in God's way
2) possibly regardless, because God can do that
3) I will be living out the glory of God as I trust.

So, I don't know. Tonight I wrote a whole joyous Facebook note about being free and running and loving where I am in life. Jesus was in there the whole time. I didn't say his name, though. And maybe I should have; I'm still thinking about this. If you didn't see Jesus in that post, I'd be happy to expand on it, just like I did with Charlie at the church retreat last summer.