Tuesday, November 25, 2014

A week in Mombin Crochu, northeastern Haiti Day 5

Continuing posts from a week spent traveling in northeastern Haiti last summer.

Plaj Labe -- we stopped here on our way back from gathering stories
Friday, July 19, 2013

When you go to bed at 3 am, the morning comes early! As I get dressed, I discover that my trusty leather sandals finally gave up the ghost . I bought them in Peru a few years ago and they have been great – pretty yet also reliable. I have flipflops to wear here, so no trouble. But the drag is that my other pair of sandals are really too ratty to wear to church now, and I get home to Cap Haitien on a Saturday afternoon – meaning I can't buy anything either before church or before I leave for the Dominican Republic on Monday morning. Hmm, wardrobe difficulties.

Here I am, out and about with what for many people is footwear worn only around the home.  Yikes.  :-)
Breakfast this morning is boiled plantains with an oily sardine and tomato sauce. Since we're not scheduled to go to communities this morning my co-workers left early for a konbit, which is the word used for when a group of people get together to to do physical labor. In this case they wanted to dig a pool in which to breed tilapia fish. For me this means that no one will know if I eat the sardines or not.  And I bought granola bars on my trip to the DR last week, heh-heh.


Sardines, breakfast of champions
I didn't have any meetings in the morning but I had a lot of translation work to do. For this I needed electricity since I would need a fully charged computer for the afternoon meeting, and so I went to the town center to the dance class to plug in to the generator we were using. I decided for the millionth time that I have an awesome life, as I worked with the stories and pictures we'd collected with little kids surrounding me, cha-cha music playing and people dancing in front of me.

Trainers Eric, Osse, and Adelin.  Osse coordinates all of the CHE programs for Medical Ambassadors Haiti.  Eric and Adelin coordinate the programs in the province called "Northeast."
And they're smiling!  It is very common culturally for people to look serious in photos.  It is possible to occasionally capture smiles, though. And it wasn't hard to smile here -- after an afternoon spent driving motorcycles on rough mountain trails, these guys are catching a well-deserved rest.