Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Brotherly Love (July 2015)

“You look really happy.” The clerk at the Miami Airport Sheraton hotel said that to me last night, about half-way through the check-in. And it was true, I was. I'd been annoyed earlier, though.

Waiting in the Cap Haitien airport earlier that day, I was seated near a very friendly guy with a voice that carried well. He chatted with most of the people near him. He had lived in many countries, but made some rather amazingly ignorant statements about language and history and current events. I ended up seated in the same row as he was on the plane, and got to hear more of his theology and life philosophy as he chatted to the guy in between us – much of which I disagreed with. I asked God to help me see him as my brother, and that helped a little – but then he would say another ridiculous thing and I would mutter under my breath again. I then focused on my breathing, which actually did help a lot.

We landed a little late in Miami, but I still should have had plenty of time to get to my next flight. However, I hadn't yet been issued a boarding pass for that next leg and the two lines for that were chaotic – many of us were told to wait in one and then later told to move to another, several agents and passengers were snippy. I still had some time and it wouldn't have mattered terribly much to me even if I missed my flight, so I wasn't frustrated due to the wait. I was getting annoyed, though, by the statements of some of the people around me. A couple of the guys behind me were pushing two of my buttons: annoying travel talk (complaining about common travel inconveniences as if they were rare, and emphasizing how much they traveled internationally) as well as throwing out certain theological statements that I find objectionable. It didn't help that they had similar accents as the guy who'd been near me for hours that day (to my untrained ear – they were from Alabama and the previous guy was from Texas).

One of the thing they complained about was how horrible American Airlines was compared to Delta. I interjected that similar things had happened to me on Delta before, and it turns out the difference was that they had premier status on Delta. So they were used to privileged treatment (okay, so maybe that's another one of my buttons). Then one of them mentioned again how frustrated he was that he still wasn't home, then added that perhaps God had done this for a reason, saving them from some tragedy. This pushed my “9/11” button – you know, all the people who told stories about people who didn't go to the Twin Towers that day as if God had particularly orchestrated events so as to spare them. (I'm not a fan of this idea since it leads to God somehow not caring about the thousands who were there that day -- indeed, some popular pastors currently preach that God is okay with destroying people). My waiting-in-line companion then said about the missed flight, “After all, how are we to know what's bad and what's good.” Argh! There's another one: this popular concept that assumes that what we want and desire is likely opposed by God, and ignores that we were made in the image and likeness of God and are hopefully daily being shaped more and more into God's image, growing to love what God loves and walk in the ways of the Kingdom of God.

Airplane guy had said something similar – he'd been doing a job that he was very skilled at and really loved, but he felt God calling him “to trust God alone, to do things in His power” and so left his job in fear and trembling to be a “full time Christian missionary.” Who did he think had given him those skills that he had been using? How is using your innate talents somehow not trusting in God's power and creative energy and design? More than doing something random that you are able to call “full time Christian missions” ?

But then I kept talking with the guys from Alabama - they were very chatty. And they were funny, and kind. One of them mentioned how sorry he felt for the gate agents having to deal with such frustrated passengers, and added in his Southern drawl, “Boy, aren't they receiving some blessings today.” I'd heard Southerners use that word ironically in movies but not in real life – it was really cute.

It was then my turn to go to the gate agent, and she was really helpful and we ended up laughing a lot. My flight was already closed, but she gave me a dinner voucher (I hadn't eaten much that day since I'd spent a lot of it waiting in lines, so this part was particularly exciting to me – silly to be so happy about this, since I would have had no trouble paying for dinner myself), a night at the Sheraton, and re-routed me to Minneapolis in the morning. The shuttle bus to the hotel was packed and the driver kept making funny announcements and telling us that we were going to the best hotel ever. The staff at the reception desk were very professional, and acted as if this were the Ritz Carlton. I knew I had a restaurant meal soon to come, followed by a huge, comfy bed.

So yes, I was happy when I was getting checked into the hotel. While I was bummed that I would be missing the church service in Minnesota that I had been looking forward to (with people I've worshiped with for decades, which is now an uncommon occurrence in my life), the disruption in my travel plans wasn't serious. The two guys from Alabama had helped me to move past my earlier internal ishy-ness – and since Jesus put so much emphasis on the love we are to have for one another, I am very grateful to my brothers in Christ for helping me get there last night. (And hopefully beyond last night, as when similar issues come up I will doubtless remember them.) And my physical needs were being catered to fantastically well. Happy.

Written at the Philadelphia airport – in the City of Brotherly Love. :-)