Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Rosario

The weekend before flying to Miami I went to Rosario, the third-largest city in Argentina. It’s a convenient four-hour bus ride away from downtown Buenos Aires, and is a city I am considering moving to due to its location.

I got more opportunities for public speaking in Spanish, speaking for a half-hour at the young-adult group’s meeting on Friday night and more briefly at the church service on Saturday night.

One of the many aspects I really enjoy in this job is that I stay with host families wherever I go. In Rosario I was hosted by my supervisor’s sister and her family who were very gracious, even when I shocked them by dramatically slipping on their stairs and taking quite a tumble.

I also love that a lot of my job involves meeting with people. Here I am meeting with Ayelén, a young woman who came to our urban training in September.

And here we are meeting for breakfast in a delightful location along the Paraná River.

Here’s the group we went there with, some really lovely women from the church:

Fun fact: I’m now seeing that church service times are highly variable. The church I know in Cordoba meets Sunday mornings and evenings, with the evening service being far more popular. In Buenos Aires the church I go to meets on Sunday morning only. In Salta, the pastor of the church in Burela has service there Sunday night, but then attends the even later Sunday night service in the town in which he lives. In Rosario the church meets both Saturday evening and Sunday morning, but the message is different at both services, so some people go to both!