Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Visitors

Above and below are two views of the "Devil's Throat." No zoom used, I was actually standing right on top of it.

I've mentioned recently that there have been a lot of visitors. Last week I met Steph, a Canadian microbiologist who is now doing trainings at a hospital in Ontario. She's also involved in development work in the Dominican Republic and is working to change her church's relief approach to a holistic, transformational approach. She also has a great sense of humor, and introduced me to Flight of the Conchords.
Another breathtaking view at the Iguazu Falls park. The white glow at the left is due to spray from the falls, we were getting really wet at this outlook.

She invited me up to Iguazu Falls, which is on the Brazilian/Argentine border, normally a 16-hour bus trip from here. Add four hours to that because of the farmers' road blocks due to the still-unresolved farm crisis (and thanks to a very patient Steph for waiting at the bus terminal). We spent the night at a hostel and had a really fun conversation over dinner with an Israeli-Argentine couple and another Israeli guy who was traveling by himself. The next day we spent six hours at the falls, and they are stunning. We decided to return to Buenos Aires that same night, since the only other thing to do was to go to the Brazilian side but I can't leave the country while in the process of getting a visa.

Steph enjoying the boat ride! The land you see is Brazil.

Me at the "Two Sisters" falls. You can kind of tell by my hair that I'm soaking wet from the boat trip we took.