Monday, February 21, 2011

No electricity

No electricity today from early morning until just now (4 pm). That's rare for us -- it usually only goes out for a few minutes to an hour at a time. I was able to use our neighbor's wireless for awhile since he's got an inverter -- until the battery on my laptop was finished. So then what to do?

  1. Organize my new desk! It's a thing of beauty to have my own desk. I have had piles and piles of papers I've been working with the past five months, and today I had the perfect excuse to make time to file some and make a nice to-do pile out of the rest
  2. Pray with my colleague, Evelyne! We started out singing "Dieu tout puissant": Alors mon cœur redit, la nuit, le jour, 'Que Tu es bon, o Dieu d’amour!' -- a song I love in English and Spanish, too. We had a lot of things to pray about: Evelyne had to meet with her community yesterday to tell them that they had no funds to pay teachers. Our colleague Anias left today for a long journey by road to Port-au-Prince, where he'll work for two days and then go to the island of La Gonave with two other colleagues to the CHE programs just starting there. I need to get a vehicle, and need wisdom as to how to go about it.
  3. Get stories from our colleagues to fill out one of our overdue quarterly reports (we can still blame the cholera epidemic for being behind on paperwork, I think). That was super-fun, as everyone shared great stories of changes they've seen or heard about in CHE communities.

So now I have a clean desk and an overflowing e-mail inbox! ;-) Glad to have the electricity back on!