Thursday, April 21, 2011

Mangoes


This is a collection of fruit I had at one point last week. The brown one is custard apple, the spiky one is soursop, and the rest are delectable mangoes (ripe, despite their green-ness).

I love mangoes. The season just started last week and I have been eating about three per day. I might have even had four once. They are seriously incredibly amazingly good. My day started out with "custard apple," though, another yummy fruit. Memene, who washes my clothes, brought me some as a gift this morning.

Then my work day started, with a meeting with the logistics guy for IOM. We needed to change a request order we'd put in for cholera supplies due to space and availability issues. Then we received boxes and boxes of soap, buckets, jerry cans, and chlorine. For free. Again. This is just so fabulous! With the first shipment we received we were able to supply our oral rehydration posts (which provide oral rehydration salts to cholera patients in rural areas as they are on their way to treatment centers), then some of our community health workers and a couple of schools. Now it looks like we might be able to supply all of our volunteer workers and some committee members, plus two hospitals in the northeast -- they'll get oral rehydration salts and IV solution as well, and get it all transported for free by the World Food Program!

This is the cholera treatment center for the rural hospital in Bois de Laurence in the northeast. We stopped by there last week.

Last week my colleague Solencia had two people in her family, both young, die. The causes were unknown, which is common. She had to leave early today to go to her cousin's funeral. We prayed for her and her family with her before she left.

Due to virus problems and varying solutions, my main computer was my netbook, then my laptop, then my netbook, then my laptop again. Lately my laptop has been acting up (I think it's old) and since I'd recently managed to back up everything I only copied a couple of recent documents and started using primarily the netbook. Well, today I realized one of the documents on my netbook wasn't the latest version. So I needed to access the laptop. But Linux won't run on the laptop with the SD card I have, and I found out today that a CD I'd burned won't run on it either. So I had to shut off my netbook to use the flash drive with which I'd been running Linux on it. And I got frustrated. Blah.

The report I'd been looking for was on our oral rehydration posts, I needed to add the latest data and send it to the health department. In March, the 39 posts that reported in saw 119 cases of cholera. (These are the numbers for the posts we have, many people thankfully can make it directly to cholera treatment centers, or stop by other posts.) Some sites had seen no cases, but cholera has increased recently in some areas, in part exacerbated by drought making it more difficult for people to incorporate hygiene techniques.

Here's a house we passed by last week in the northeast, an area that's really been suffering from the drought, with SODIS bottles on the roof. Yup, turns out one of our community health workers goes to this house, and they now use this free method to get clean drinking water!

I'm working on solidifying travel within the US for my three-month trip this summer. The connections from Minneapolis to Detroit are ridiculous, and it will take me just as long in terms of travel if I fly to Chicago instead, hang out with Mark and Julie, then take a train the next day to Detroit. Seriously?

Tomorrow's a holiday (Good Friday), so I won't see my colleague Evelyne again until Monday. She started a school in her village a few years ago and needed to send off the budget to some potential partners. I'd agreed to translate it into English for her. We finished just before 7 pm. Which is when I realized that I'd missed yet another Lenten service. Sigh.

Which means I'll just have to eat more mangoes and practice the cello (the music school where I conduct and teach piano lets me borrow a cello!).