Saturday, April 9, 2011

Moolah

Have I mentioned anything about the money used in Haiti? The currency is called "gourd," and it used to be tied to the US dollar, at 5 gourdes per dollar. So, people started referring to 5 gourdes as "one dollar" or "one Haitian dollar." It's no longer tied to the dollar, it's now about 40 gourdes to the US dollar.

Why is this history important? People still call 5 gourdes a Haitian dollar (HT). And they speak in terms of Haitian dollars much more than in gourdes. This is a mathematical nightmare for me. I mean, 100 HT is fine, that's 500 gourdes, no problem. But in the market they'll say something is 65 HT -- that's not so easy to do quickly. And this week my colleague cashed a check and came back with "1875 dollars." I count 9375 gourdes and know it's all there (after taking out my calculator).

I usually talk in gourdes, because I haven't been able to understand how people easily go back and forth. This got me into trouble once when I asked a colleague to give me "400" of phone credit. A few minutes later I got a text that I'd received 1818.18. I was completely confused until I realized that she thought I'd wanted 400 HT, or 2000 gourdes, and then the phone company took its cut.

So, I've been wondering for awhile how everyone does it, talking in Haitian dollars. They have just told me "it's easy." But yesterday I finally got some insight! I watched my colleague Evelyne count some money. She held a 500 gourd bill and I saw her lips move "100," then a 250 gourd bill and I saw her murmur "50." At the end she knew the amount in Haitian dollars. So what she's doing is looking at a bill that has "500" stamped on it and thinking "100."

This actually gives me hope. I actually might be able to do this if I translate each bill in my head, not the total. Especially for receiving change. No, really, I think this could work.