Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Micro-enterprise Training - Report from the team

The Haiti team reports:
Medical Ambassadors Haiti helps people build up their economic lives and experience local development starting with themselves. We show them they have resources within their communities that they can utilize which will help them grow in business. We also show them how to help their families grow economically so that they do not go hungry and always have sufficient funds to pay for their children’s school without depending on others.
We held a training in the Cap Haitien office for all the master trainers as well as ten other trainings done in communities throughout three provinces. Those trainings were on micro-enterprise and savings groups (called “mutual solidarity”), as well as on agro-industry. We did many demonstrations on agro-industry such as making liquid laundry soap, shampoo, house cleaner, white vinegar, tomato paste, tomato sauce, hot sauce, perfume, and hair pomade.
We found the means to be able to “reinforce” the savings groups in some communities [meaning to add to money used for short-term loans]. We bought materials for the agro-industry trainings done in the communities.
The communities told us that they really loved the training and that they will put it into practice because they can sell what they make in the communities. There are people there who already sell products in the market and from their homes.

Personal note:
Today I was talking with my landlord, who is interested in micro-enterprise projects. She asked me if we send out reports "like Kiva does." This is what I told her: 
-- I received a report about our micro-enterprise program from our team last July.
 Since all of our micro-enterprise projects are currently funded by just one donor, and I was going to see that donor the next month, I printed off the report and planned to translate it for him in person. 
--I only had a partial day to spend with the donor (a family member), and we ended up just chatting and hanging out with family.
-- I found the printed paper report (still in Kreyol) buried on my desk a few weeks ago. 
--This past Saturday I was at the hospital and had a bit of time where I needed to still be there physically (due to a medication a patient was on) but didn't need to attend to anyone. So I translated the report and e-mailed it to myself. 
--Today, after my landlord and I spoke, I finally e-mailed the donor the translated report and also posted it here (above) and on Facebook. 
Conclusion: please pray that we would find people who have free time and administrative skills that want to volunteer with us! Our team does wonderful work year-round and it is important that their work is seen, celebrated, and supported!