Thursday, July 20, 2017

God's Sovereignty

One of the most important items on my to-do list today is to read about interstitial lung disease.  (I precepted one case with the director of my fellowship program last week, and she told me to read up on it - and she'll be my preceptor every day this next stretch of work, which starts this Saturday, so I'd better be able to discuss the subject intelligently.) But I've been reflecting lately on the subject of God's sovereignty and a few recent conversations with friends where the subject came up, and I either just shut down or responded too quickly.  I thought it might help me clarify my thoughts to myself - and also respond better to friends in the future - if I wrote them down:

God's sovereignty is no longer a comforting concept to me. I do still believe that God is sovereign, but I no longer find that a  comforting notion, nor something that is helpful to reflect on when I need comfort.

I suspect that in the past, when I thought that I was trusting in God's sovereignty I was often conflating it with other things. (Once when I told a friend that I was trusting in God for something she challenged me, “Really? Or are you just in denial?”) Growing up in a middle class family in North America, I have a baseline of trust in a social structure and infrastructure, and trust that in any time of trial that I or my loved ones would at least receive the best medical care possible or that insurance would cover part of any loss of property. But now I have lived in places where it appears that God has often chosen not to intervene, even when families and sometimes entire communities or swaths of a country have lost everything from a storm – and where losing everything means that now their children won't go to school or that they and their children may even die (from the storm itself or from its economic sequelae). There are so many countries where people die every day from diseases that are easily preventable or treatable in other places. And where the survivors still put their trust and hope in God. I do find hope for the distant future in the concept of God's sovereignty: I believe that Jesus will return to make all things right, and God will wipe every tear from our eyes. But in the meantime lovely people suffer, go hungry, and die in the details.

I get frustrated when I hear the concept of God's sovereignty used to explain things that I think are due to economic/geographic happenstance, or even the results of long-term abuse of power. I still believe that all good things come from God, and I thank God when good things happen. But if God's sovereignty is directly involved when you get the job you wanted when you live in a place with 6% unemployment, what does that mean for my friend who cannot find any job in a place with 80% unemployment? And what does it mean when the poverty and lack of jobs where my friend lives has a direct historical relationship to the plenty where you live?

I also sometimes get angry when I hear people cite God's sovereignty when it appears that it is being used to justify acceptance of (or even outright collusion with) evil systems that are designed to benefit some and worsen the lives of others. I believe that we are called to live now the way we will live in the future, and that we are to be a part of setting up systems that bring justice and peace for our families, neighbors, and communities – both as a foretaste of what is to come and also because people's lives (even now!) are important. So if new laws or repeals of old protections cause my neighbor to suffer injustice or want, this does not seem like a time for us to take comfort in God's sovereignty – this seems like a time for us to storm the gates of hell.

So, I do not currently find the idea of God's sovereignty comforting (although again, I do still believe that God is sovereign). What does give me comfort and hope in trial? The fact that if our neighbor is suffering, we have the privilege of suffering alongside, and that we can comfort others with the same comfort that we have received. The fact that even though there is much evil in this world, God can give us the strength to resist evil, to work for good, to maintain love in our hearts. The fact that we know that God is on the side of love, justice, and hope. The fact that God is always present – rejoicing and moving toward the good, and weeping with us in the bad.