Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Give thanks

Sand dunes in California.

I returned to the U.S. on Sunday morning, and got into my car at the airport to drive to San Diego for a medical conference. I need to get a certain amount of continuing medical education courses for my medical license and to maintain my board certification.

Thankfully I had been able to catch a couple of hours of sleep on one of the flights, and the bright Arizona sunshine also helped to keep me awake.

I also had a great CD of worship music, compiled by my friend Erin. I was thinking about the previous weeks and what it means to be in this new career, which I variously describe as:

  1. Missionary
  2. Medical missionary
  3. Facilitator of community health and development
  4. Leaving clinical practice to teach prevention and holistic health

While fueling in Yuma, Arizona, a man pointed out to me (in Spanish) that my left rear tire was flat. After following various bits of advice by helpful people which didn’t pan out (since most places are closed on Sundays), I called AAA which directed me to the nearby Wal*Mart. The tire was able to be repaired in less than an hour. I say all of this because during the entire several-hour experience, I was really in a place of trust. I was so thankful that:

  1. The flat was pointed out to me before the wheel was ruined
  2. I was in a city
  3. I was at a gas station where I could add enough air to get to the repair place without having to change to the spare tire
  4. A repair shop was open on a Sunday
  5. I had a cell phone to make the calls to AAA and to my friends to say I would be late
  6. It wasn’t super-hot (only 98 degrees)
  7. I was still feeling really quite awake.

I wasn’t feeling sorry for myself for having been up for 35 hours or really needing a shower or for getting a flat tire or for having to give money to a Wal*Mart. I was truly thankful. Now, maybe I was just in a state of exhaustion. Or maybe I really am beginning to learn to trust God.

In August I got together with Sharon, an awesome woman of God who started a prison ministry through which I’ve volunteered. We are both a little busy, and so hadn’t seen one another since well before Christmas last year, and so Sharon gave me my Christmas presents in August. One of the presents was a bracelet with hearts which are engraved with portions of 1 Thessalonians 5:16 – 18:

Be joyful always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances.