Friday, February 6, 2009

Salta, la linda!

On this, my third trip to the province of Salta, I finally saw the beautiful capital city. Our local trainer Sulma had to take care of some paperwork in the capital and I accompanied her on the overnight (2 am to 6:30 am) bus trip. No sleep on this bus since it goes through the countryside and people can wait for the bus along the road, not just in towns. This means that the driver will be speeding along and suddenly spy someone on the road and brake quickly to pick them up.

Here is Sulma waiting with other rural teachers to get her paperwork done. While she was busy there I chatted with some of her friends from a neighboring village and they would like to set up a training for September!

Here we are standing in front of the cathedral:

I met Sulma's cousin Esther and we went out for barbecue with her and Sulma's brother (who hosted us at his apartment) and his girlfriend. Here is Esther picking up some intestine to eat. Yum! Just behind the intestine on the platter you can see kidney, which I tried for the first time that night.


We had picked a place with dancing -- here's the dramatic singer and the Argentine zamba dancers:
Here are Marcela, Moises, Esther and Sulma:
Sulma's parents, who were in town visiting their son:
Here I am on a hill overlooking the city: