Friday, February 6, 2009

Visa Perks

Some days I can't believe what I have to do to work here. I have been unable to get a religious visa in Argentina for several reasons. After spending a lot of money and time on the process I am resigned for now to leaving the country every 90 days, the requirement for the tourist visa I am here under. I frequently have trips out of the country for work reasons, so have only had to deliberately "pop out" twice. There is a ferry from Buenos Aires to Colonia, Uruguay which is very convenient, allowing me to go over and back the same day. I made the trip last winter (July) and a few weeks ago got to enjoy it in the summer.

Since there are a lot of tourists at this time of year, not only was the ferry full but there was a show! You can see the two dancers in the middle leading the crowd.
The trees were flowering...
Colonia is really a beautiful town and has a very well-preserved historic section. In the first picture you see the Rio de la Plata in the background: