Monday, February 4, 2008

Baradero 1

I spent last weekend in the city of Baradero, which has about 35,000 inhabitants and is located 150 km from Buenos Aires. I went there with Horacio and Silvia, the couple from the Libertador church that plans to move there full-time in March. During the past year they have gone there every weekend to help with a feeding center for children, and Horacio has become the pastor of a small church there. We arrived Friday afternoon and had an outdoor meeting with the three women that run the feeding center. Below in the photo are Silvia (her side to the camera), Ines, Marisa, and Cristina.

In this photo you can see Alejandro, who is also helping in the community. You can also see the house that Silvia and Horacio have been renting there.
Ah, such a life of contrasts. The house had musty mattresses that felt like they were rolling me off the bed, we had to empty a bucket into the toilet to flush it, there a few gigant-o spiders and a multitude of different beetle species (that were apparently even more numerous before Silvia's Raid was put to use the last few weekends, also thankfully no tarantulas which she has seen there before) but look at how and where we ate! Lovely! Horacio made a delicious asado. Please note that my glass is not full of wine, it's part wine but mostly sparkling water. I have also decided there is a definite advantage to an uncomfortable bed -- no matter how tired I am in the morning my back won't let me stay in bed, so I am not tempted to linger. :-)