Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Weekend


Noelia explaining to us her group's definition of "community" at the beginning of the TOT 1 in Burela, Salta last September

I arrived in Cordoba this morning after an all-night bus trip. I went with a "full bed" bus which somehow appeared identical to the "semi-bed" I'd taken last September. Apparently there is yet a third category, "full bed 180 degrees" that I will have to try next. Let's just say it was a long night!

Tonight there is a meeting with the six of us that will be going to Burela, Salta, this weekend. The five people besides me are all from the Iglesia Jesucristo Rey here in Cordoba. I just heard some great news about this church: in spite of their intense time of transition (one of the two pastors suddenly resigned two months ago) and their lack of history of involvement in missions (only in the past year have they begun missions outreaches outside of their local area), they have just agreed to regular monthly financial support for Pastor Gabriel, the missions pastor in Burela, Salta!

Tomorrow night I travel to Metan, Salta by overnight semi-bed bus. This was the only kind that was available, and believe me, I checked! Then I take two smaller buses to get to the town of Apolinario Saravia, which is the nearest large village to Burela. Hopefully, Friday afternoon includes some sleep -- I'm still not sure where I'm staying -- and then we're doing training on Saturday. We will be continuing our lessons on the TOT1 as well as holding a workshop on family violence (see previous post). I'm very excited to go to these villages again to hear what has been happening over the past few months. My contacts there do not have internet access and so updates have been limited.

I will return sometime on Monday to Buenos Aires, hopefully getting to experience "full bed 180 degrees" on that trip!