Friday, February 22, 2008

Family Violence

Next week I will accompany a group from the Jesucristo Rey church in Cordoba to the province of Salta, where we will facilitate a workshop on family violence. With Maria Elena Mamarian's permission, we will be designing some lessons from her book Breaking the Silence: Prevention and treatment of family violence into LifeWind's LePSAS format -- Learner-centered, problem-posing, self-discovery, action-oriented, Spirit-guided. If you remember, in the villages of Burela and Apolinario Saravia in Salta last year they started talking about the serious and pervasive problem of violence in the home.

I just purchased the book today and started reading it. She frequently cites the World Health Organization and its research on this issue. Below is my translation of the anonymously written passage that starts the first chapter. Warning -- I was crying both while I read and translated it. Please pray that this workshop in Salta on Saturday, March 1, will be well-attended and be the beginning of lasting change for all in that community.

Today isn't my birthday or any other special day; we had our first disagreement last night and he said lots of cruel things to me that really offended me. But I know that he's sorry and he didn't mean those things because he sent me flowers today.

It's not our anniversary or any other special day today; last night he threw me against a wall and began to choke me. It seemed like a nightmare, but you wake up from a nightmare and know it's not real; I woke up this morning in pain and with bruises all over, but I know he's sorry because he sent me flowers today.

And it's not Valentine's Day or any other special day; last night he beat me and threatened to kill me; not even makeup or long sleeves could hide the cuts and bruises that he caused this time.

I couldn't go to work today, because I didn't want anyone to figure it out. But I know that he's sorry, because he sent me flowers today. And it wasn't even Mother's Day or any other special day. Last night, he beat me again, but this time it was much worse.

If I manage to leave him, what will I do? How can I provide for our kids by myself? What will happen if we run out of money? I'm so scared of him! But I depend on him so much that I'm afraid to leave him. But I know that he's sorry, because he sent me flowers today.

Today is a very special day. It's the day of my funeral. Last night he finally managed to kill me. He beat me to death. If only I had had the will and the strength to leave him....If I would have accepted professional help...today I wouldn't have received flowers.