Saturday, March 22, 2008

Holy Week


My nephew Xander has a birthday this week!

I ran a few errands this morning, had a great walk with my friend's dog, and then took most of the day to read and reflect -- after all, it's Saturday of Holy Week, and I'm in a country that has a four-day weekend! I read a book (borrowed from friends) from the late 80s called When the Spirit Comes with Power: Signs and Wonders among God's People by British psychiatrist John White. The takeaway message for me? God is calling us to relationship. Crazy and wonderful and confusing things happen sometimes, or don't happen to us even when they're happening all around us, but God will not be placed in a box, and what God wants is a genuine, living, loving relationship with us. Hmm...I sense a theme to this week....

I've been really impressed with what God is doing in my life in and through this new way of living. The challenges are not always what I anticipated: in fact, most of the challenges I've met before in some form but are now more intense or seem more serious or something. So many experiences I've had in the past are being put to use, including my previous training in "warfare" prayer and the years I spent investigating biblical feminism and learning to trust God and die to self while working at a conservative Christian organization, etc.

Tomorrow after church I'm heading up to Baradero to meet with Silvia and Horacio who've been there since Thursday. I'll return to town with them on Monday. We have very exciting plans: we're working on our quarterly report! It is very important that we account for all of the money that is spent in our areas and chart our progress and inform the broader community of our prayer requests, but it doesn't sound very thrilling, does it? I received a notice from the US State Department warning of travel difficulties due to road blockages caused by farmers protesting increased taxes on grain exports. That's exciting, I suppose, but Silvia told me that the road was blocked just after Baradero so they were able to get there without difficulty. :-)

My friend Nadia put a couple of Bebo Norman songs on my computer. One of them just came on which I thought was appropriate as we've just gone through Lent and it has to do with some of the things I've posted about, too. It's called, "The Hammer Holds." I've copied the lyrics below and you can listen to it on YouTube.

A shapeless piece of steel, that's all I claim to be
This hammer pounds to give me form, this flame, it melts my dreams
I glow with fire and fury, as I'm twisted like a vine
My final shape, my final form I'm sure I'm bound to find

So dream a little, dream for me in hopes that I'll remain
And cry a little, cry for me so I can bear the flames
And hurt a little, hurt for me my future is untold
But my dreams are not the issue here, for they, the hammer holds

And the water, it cools me gray, and the hurt's subdued somehow
I have my shape, this sharpened point, what is my purpose now?
And the question still remains, what am I to be?
Perhaps some perfect piece of art displayed for all to see

So dream a little, dream for me in hopes that I'll remain
And cry a little, cry for me so I can bear the flames
And hurt a little, hurt for me my future is untold
But my dreams are not the issue here, for they, the hammer holds

The hammer pounds again, but flames I do not feel
This force that drives me, helplessly, through flesh, and wood reveals
A burn that burns much deeper, it's more than I can stand
The reason for my life was to take the life of a guiltless man

So dream a little, dream for me in hopes that I'll remain
And cry a little, cry for me so I can bear the pain
And hurt a little, hurt for me, my future is so bold
But my dreams are not the issue here, for they, the hammer holds

This task before me may seem unclear
But it, my maker holds