Thursday, March 12, 2009

Argentina and books


Seen at a street cafe in a touristy part of town (El Caminito). I love this pose in the tango!


The BBC recently posted an article with different impressions of Argentina by a reporter who lived here for years.


I believe this is part of the Argentine zamba. We walked by these dancers while touring Buenos Aires with Barb and Melanie (the estheticians who came to give a manicure training).

Recently I read a list of books an acquaintance had read last year, which I thought was an interesting look at his life. Since the books I read last year are helping me both to form and to articulate my thinking (in fact, I'm planning to re-read a lot of them this year) I thought I would post mine.

Read in 2008:

A Generous Orthodoxy by Brian McLaren

The Gospel in a Pluralist Society by Lesslie Newbigin

Shirley by Charlotte Bronte

O2 by Richard Dahlstrom

The Real Mary by Scot McKnight

The Myth of a Christian Nation by Greg Boyd

Agnes Grey by Anne Bronte

Transforming Mission: Paradigm Shifts in Theology of Mission by David Bosch

Seamos como niños: Pensar teleógicamente desde la niñez latinoamericana by various authors

End of the Spear by Steve Saint

Martin Chuzzlewit by Charles Dickens

When the Spirit Comes in Power by John White

Not Good if Detached by Corrie ten Boom


Read over half of the following short story and essay collections:

Doce cuentos peregrinos by Gabriel García Márquez

Cuentos Completos by Julio Cortázar

Cuentos de amor y locura y muerte by Horacio Quiroga

The Local Church, Agent of Transformation by various authors


Re-reads:

The Bible (read it through chronologically in 2008)

Sir Gibbie by George MacDonald

The Irresistible Revolution by Shane Claiborne

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

Persuasion by Jane Austen


I have had the privilege of speaking at numerous churches. Here I am at my "home" church giving a summary of the manicure training. The man on my right is one of our pastors, Jorge, and the two women on my left are Barb and Melanie, the estheticians.