Monday, March 30, 2009

Wisconsin and dreams

A run-down barn in a surprisingly central location in the town of Medford, Wisconsin.

I'm guessing this is a government building, I didn't see a sign.

Today I am very grateful. I drove into Wisconsin late last night after a wonderful get-together with faculty and former residents of my family medicine program. J and Cassie are amazing hosts! I drove here in my cousin's wife's car, which she has generously loaned me for the duration of my Minnesota/Wisconsin visit. I stayed overnight with them (for a few hours only, leaving at 4:30 am!) and arrived this morning in Medford, Wisconsin, for a two-day Advanced Life Support in Obstetrics course. One of the things I am doing in the States is taking needed continuing medical education courses to keep up my medical license, although I am not currently practicing. I am grateful because:
  • Today I was thinking how much I miss OB, and practicing medicine for that matter.
  • As I talked with a fellow D.O. on a break, I was thinking about his comments that the Twin Cities are really lacking D.O.s who do osteopathic manipulation, and how easy and helpful setting up a practice there would be.
  • Yesterday I was really excited as I shared with others about the doors that have been opened for me in my work in Argentina and the thrill of sensing that I am joining God in God's work there.
  • Yesterday I talked with someone about my former work in corrections, and how much I enjoyed many aspects of it.
  • Last week I was loving being with my friends and relatives in Minnesota and thinking how beautiful it is to be with friends that are not only superb but with whom we have a long history.
  • Yesterday morning I was sad that it was my last service at Messiah Episcopal Church, but also really glad at the thought of being able to worship at Epic Christian Church next week.
  • Tonight I am thankful because my Dad was thoughtful and offered to pay for my hotel room here so I could avoid five hours of driving (between tonight and tomorrow). I'm exhausted and need to study a bit before tomorrow's test.
So I'm super-grateful to God that while it's true, I have some poignant dreams about moving back to the States (to several states at once, if possible!) and would really enjoy other jobs, it's also true that I have a lot of possibilities in my life. I live in a place where I now feel at home and work at a job where I feel that I am useful and moving with the Holy Spirit. In a rough economy I am not only supported in that ministry through donations but also have many other options.

Como Lake just after my run. Minnesota is so beautiful year-round.

Rachael and me at the coffee shop with the best baristas in the Midwest. Oh, the delectable goodness of a well-prepared macchiato!