Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Cuarteto

Cultural fact: cuarteto is a traditional music of Córdoba, like the tango is for Buenos Aires. There is a wacky artist from Córdoba that writes only cuartetos, and is super-popular here -- La Mona Jiménez.

Well, last weekend was Felipe´s 17th birthday (Felipe Lopez, son of the couple that is hosting me here this month). He wanted to go to a La Mona concert. I decided to tag along for the cultural experience. The concert started at 2:00 am! It lasted until 4:30 am, but we left at the intermission since there is a history of violence outside the concerts. La Mona has photographers that go around and take pictures of people and then they are posted on the website. See below for the link to our photo. The guy in the middle of the picture is Felipe, with his sister Luz and some of his classmates around him. I am standing off to the right of the picture -- my face is covered by the title of the photo.

http://www.cmj.com.ar/elbaile/baile284/galeria06/foto_cmj_29.html

It was mostly a positive experience. I danced one of the cuartetos with Luz, and got to see a bit of nightlife that I don´t miss!