Friday, September 21, 2007

Travel

The below photo is the government building in the city of Tucuman. We stayed overnight in that city on our way to Burela, Salta. It has nothing to do with the post, but I thought it was pretty.
Tonight there is a meeting of a group of volunteers from the church Iglesia Jesucristo Rey that have been going to hospitals to talk with people on hospice. They already had a meeting scheduled for tonight but changed the time so that I could join them. They plan to each share what they have been doing in the hospital, and then want me to give them advice!

Now, those who know me know I love teaching and advice-giving :) but it is difficult to adequately do so with such limited information as I have about the hospital system here. For example, some members of the group already mentioned to me that some of the patients don´t have any family members to bring them food -- that is a problem that doesn´t occur in the US where the meals are part of the hospital bill. I had the opportunity on my first full day here to be with an OB/gyn physician at a maternity hospital -- very different.

After the church meeting I will come back to the Lopez´house briefly for the end of the first meeting of the newly formed/forming board of directors for ¨Comunidades Vivas,¨ or Living Communities, which is what LifeWind will be called in Argentina. Marcelo is in the process of getting official non-profit status for Living Communities in this country. The name was officially approved by the government this week. He is now working on getting tax-deductible status for all donations. Stan Rowland, the founder of the CHE concept, just arrived in Cordoba this afternoon and will be speaking to the board.

Tonight my bus for Buenos Aires leaves at 11:15 pm. The Urban Training of Trainers (TOT) will be Monday - Friday next week, and I fly back to Phoenix overnight on Saturday. I´m excited for the training as my supervisor, Bibiana, will be there in addition to Stan Rowland. I´m sure I will have great learning opportunities next week! After nearly 24 hours of traveling, Stan arrived in time for tea. Over tea he taught me so much about urban CHE, the relationship LifeWind has with Food for the Hungry and Harvest International both in Bolivia and Phoenix -- he´s a born teacher.

I arrive in Phoenix Sunday morning, 9/30, and some super-great friends will have brought my car to the airport so I can drive to San Diego that day for continuing medical education. Jenny and her family will be there for the conference and I will stay with my stepsister Karina.

I may not have e-mail access until October 5 or so.