Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Family

Me and my Mom!

It seems there's never enough quality time with family. I haven't lived near my family in 19 years -- a long time! I don't usually visit for as long as I did this time (nearly two weeks), instead trying to get them to come visit me. I think this is altruistic, really, since I usually live in sunnier places. :)

This visit there were several speaking engagements planned (including helping facilitate a LifeWind training in Canada which didn't pan out) and a long-standing promise to help my Mom with some things in her house. I ended up spending a lot of time working on my own things: nearly daily paperwork on my house in Arizona, continuing medical education on line, etc. I did help go through things (see previous blog) but it didn't seem like we got enough time to hang out. This is especially poignant because I'm moving to Argentina next month and don't know when I'll see her again.

Above are my sister Lorena and brother-in-law Gregor. This photo is from our last late-night card session. I love this picture, because they both have a sort of sneaky look on their faces!

Above are two of the three people I keep in touch with from high school, Rachel and Elaine. I've seen them both a couple of times since our last high school reunion, but they hadn't seen each other since then. I made them promise to take notes at next year's 20th reunion, since I won't be able to go. I haven't gotten to see my third friend, Karen, in a really long time. However, while going through boxes in my mom's attic I found our 7th grade school newspaper with a critique she had written of two TV shows. Here is a snapshot: "Happy Days" has been on for so long it has run out of interesting story lines....The nation-famous Arthur "Fonz" Fonzerelli has lost some of his eagerness, excitement and all-around spunk." Now, that's harsh!

Here are my Dad and his wife Beverly. They're going to buy my car for Beverly to use, which simplifies some things for me. I'll be driving to Minnesota next week for some support-raising and vacation and box-going-through. I will get to use the car while I'm there, and then they will pick it up. Getting to drive also means that I will get to meet my nephew, Alexander:

Nephew Xander, who still has not gotten to meet his Aunt Liz!