Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Up North

I left Missouri on Sunday morning since the Iowa DOT said the roads were clear. Thankfully I didn't have much of Missouri left to go, since their roads were still icy. Iowa was clear and dry and a beautiful, easy drive. The southern part of the state was lovely -- it was sunny out and the trees were glistening with ice and snow.

I made it to Minnesota with an hour to spare before going to a dinner that my friends Cassie and J had for me with some former residency colleagues. I hadn't seen most of them since we graduated 3 1/2 years ago, and it was fun to catch up. I had some moments of missing clinical medicine -- Jennifer was late due to two ICU admissions, and I'd always loved hospital work and haven't done it since residency. However, as we discussed other issues like charting, time, office politics, etc. I decided that I'm excited about my new job with its different sorts of challenges!

Yesterday was spent catching up with another residency colleague, Kim, who couldn't make it to the dinner. I got to meet the newest addition to her family and talk about the joys of correctional medicine as she's in the middle of a job change. I also ran into Rachael (unplanned) at a coffee shop and met her Alpha colleagues, then went to Paul and Libby's for a couple of hours. Gibbie, their 2 1/2 year-old, sung me some of the new songs he's learned.

Today is supposed to be spent on my latest to-do list: creating some work accounts, responding to contacts, continuing medical education, etc. However, I got a late start due to a nasty head cold -- priority will be going out to by some lotion-y Kleenex for my poor nose! The other venture for today, which I'm in the middle of, is to find a Kinko's to print off my title company's documents which I'm told will be ready this afternoon!! Then I get to take them to a bank for the notary service and overnight them to the title company, also wiring funds for the loss. Yippee! We're getting farther in a home sale than I've gotten since September!