Thursday, December 27, 2007

Seasons

Christmas devotional: playing music and reading "The Little Drummer Boy" around the Advent wreath

I've gotten to see my dear friends Paul and Libby with their sons Gibbie and Ezra several days so far. I was able to participate in some of the Advent devotionals they did, then see the changes after Christmas. As Libby spread out the purple Advent cloth and later the white Christmas cloth, she asked Gibbie why we use those colors. His answer (learned at the Montessori pre-school he attends 3 hours per week and at home) was: because everything has changed. Pithy answer for a 2 year-old! Tonight Gibbie and I were outside playing in the snow, and he started to sing, "Silent Night, Holy Night." He asked me why the night was holy. I explained that "holy" means set apart or separated, and the night Jesus was born was set apart because it was so special, since it was the time God chose to send Jesus to us.

Paul reading to his sons at a coffee shop.