Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Bad Day?

This is how I felt a lot of today. (This photo is of Paul and his youngest son, Ezra, from my penultimate night in Minnesota.)

Well, today was to be spent running errands. After working late and then a sleepless night (that darn sinusitis, didn't get antibiotics yet) I got a late start to the day and woke up just in time to leave for an appointment. Thankfully I grabbed a liter of water and some fruit for the road. The day consisted of:
  • Contact lens appointment
  • Dropped a box at Goodwill
  • Picked up a couple of things at the mall
  • I think I got a traffic ticket! I've never gotten a ticket before, since I don't speed. However, as soon as my nose hit the intersection on a left turn the arrow turned yellow, then the car in front of me slowed, the arrow turned red, and the flash of a photo bulb went off. Arrgghh. I didn't do anything wrong! I can't contest it since I'll be out of the country. Also, I was driving my pastor's car! Yikes!
  • Try to pray and let it go.
  • Downtown for an "apostille" on my visa documents. No go! Yet again (time #3) the documents are notarized incorrectly. Please note that it is a 2-hour round trip to the Secretary of State's office.
  • Try to pray and let it go.
  • Didn't want to stop for lunch/coffee since I was about to hit rush hour, so I headed back southeast to the furthest Target for an ISB cable for my printer (thank you, Nadia, for noticing that I needed one).
  • Finally! Drank another liter of water and got an espresso and biscotti at the Target Starbucks on a gift card from my friend Erin. Sat down in the cafe and felt lots better!
  • Walgreen's for antibiotics
  • Chase Bank -- the notary I've stalked for months has today off.
  • Phew! After 7 hours I'm home in time for a short walk in the gorgeous Arizona winter, then off to dinner with a lovely family from my church.
Very deep moral to the story: I was praying and singing and asking for a thankful attitude throughout the day. I started to get worried that I will not be able to handle the frustrations and difficulties on the mission field if I couldn't deal with a few things going wrong. However, I discovered that if I have a bad start to the day, then get hungry, thirsty, caffeine-deprived, sick, and need to "use the facilities" in addition to having lots of things go wrong, once I take care of the physical issues my attitude miraculously gets better! (I'm no rocket scientist.)