Monday, January 14, 2008

Lists

My friend Teri with her beautiful new daughter Hazel. I'm so glad I got to meet her in person! We got to see each other on and off while I was up in Minnesota.

Ah, lists, lists, lists! Today, among other things, I did the following:
  • Went to the notary a third time for corrections on documents for my visa.
  • Worked some more on my expense reports for reimbursements for work expenses. Tricky, very tricky!
  • Opened the four weeks of mail that had accumulated at Nadia's. That drastically increased my to-do pile!
  • Paid the last gas and water bills for my house which sold last month.
  • Discovered that I actually haven't ever received the yellow fever vaccine (suggested for some parts of Argentina that I will go to). Also discovered it will be a $75 office visit plus an $85 vaccine -- I'm checking to see if this will be cheaper to get in Argentina!
  • Prescribed myself antibiotics for an upper respiratory tract infection I've now had for over four weeks. Balked at the $69 price tag and called a friend to see if she's got samples.
  • Registered with the American Embassy in Argentina.
Some exciting things that I've accomplished lately:
  • Got the address and telephone number for the fully furnished apartment I will sublet for the first few months in Buenos Aires. This apartment is owned by the brother-in-law of a woman I worked with at the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association in 1994! Serendipity! There are even sheets and towels in this apartment. I am so blessed to have this opportunity, since apartments for rent in Argentina do not usually come with any appliances -- that would have been tricky to figure out after just arriving in the country.
  • I'm mostly done transferring my car to my father. I'm still waiting for the paperwork from the bank so that I can get the title.
Tomorrow I plan to:
  • Go back to the Secretary of State for Arizona to get an "apostille" on my visa documents. I've been there once before, and also mailed documents there before. Let's see if the third time works!
  • Last contact lens exam -- I've got the el-cheapo America's Best plan, and figure I might as well get one last free exam.
  • Paperwork, paperwork, paperwork.
This is my friend Jenny and her daughter Grace. Grace was trying to smile for the camera in this one!


Here's Grace with her little sister Kate, playing at the Black Sheep coffee shop in St. Paul. They came up from Michigan my last weekend in Minnesota. I'm so grateful Jenny has a brother in Minneapolis, which was the perfect excuse (my perspective) to come up to see me!


Here's Kate in the car with me on the way to the airport. We are being silly while her Mom is out of the car buying supper for the flight home.