Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Stuff and Family

We had a great New Year's Day: our family friend Aldine, my cousin Paul and his wife Erica came over for a Belgian waffle brunch with my Aunt Char, Uncle Jim, and my cousin Nicole. Here we are playing a killer game of Uno.

My Aunt Char agreed to store my things for a time. A lot of people have asked what I've kept. I've talked to a lot of people who've gone to the mission field, and everyone does things differently. I decided to save all my photo albums, meaningful books (including the medical ones), letters (several boxes-worth!), and some miscellaneous breakable things (wine glasses, trinkets, Christmas ornaments given to me by my Mom). The breakable things take up a lot of space with all of the packing material. So, below is a picture of essentially all of my things, one-box deep:
Paul and Erica live in Wisconsin now, with her two horses and two others that she boards. The temperature was -1 (-18 C), but of course the horses must be fed!

This trip to Minnesota was great. I had three weeks where I worked full-time but still managed to see lots of people, relax with family, get outdoors, and eat Thai food and Neapolitan pizza. I was also encouraged by stories of and from other missionaries, hearing that it takes everyone a lot of work to leave the country. That was very validating for me: I've spent three solid months (plus most of my evenings last spring and summer) on this venture, and I've got a little ways to go. I'm getting better at working while trusting that things will get done, and that this isn't my venture alone.