Wednesday, January 30, 2008

La Celula

I haven't been blogging much because too much has been happening! I have lots of great things to say, though, but I won't do so tonight since it's already almost 1 am. You'll see why at the bottom.

Today I got together with Sara, a woman that I met here in September. I met her because decades ago she worked in Kenya and got to know Stan, the founder of the CHE program, who was also working in Kenya at the time. She's been interested in CHE ever since. Stan came down here in September to teach the urban version of CHE, she connected with him, and so she and I met. Confused yet?

Anyway, Sara's husband works with the US Embassy, and she is the first non-Argentine I've hung out with here. I find I have to make that clear not only because a lot of missionaries seem to work with Americans or other non-nationals a lot, but also because a lot of people here have American-sounding names! She showed me how the local train system works, and it turns out that it is perfect for my neighborhood -- there is a station six blocks from my apartment, and the end of the line is downtown Buenos Aires. It was pretty hot so we went to the end of the line, she pointed me in the direction of some famous sites, walked through a park, and essentially just got back on the train.

Guess where we ate lunch? Chinatown! I didn't know there was such a thing here. Excellent.

Tonight I went to my friends' (Bill and Annie) cell group, which is what they call the community groups or house groups at the Libertador church. I will be affiliated with the Libertador church as this is the church sending the couple full-time to the slum of Baradero, where the church has been working for years. This group knows my supervisor, and when she is in town they pray over her. Guess what? They said they will do the same for me.

They had me speak a little about why I am here and my journey, then they laid hands on me and prayed for me. They all offered to help me with anything that I should need. I am just amazed at this path that is laid out for me.

So, why is it 1 am? The celula finished at 11:00, and tonight they met at a location much further away. So, I got home after midnight. They didn't seem to shocked at the time -- have I mentioned that things are later here? :-)