Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Missed Blogging


I said "goodbye" to all of this yesterday, leaving Minnesota, family, and ice skating behind.

Well, I've not been blogging for a bit, but hopefully tomorrow I'll catch up! The past three weeks I've only had dial-up, so that made blogging painful. Yesterday I achieved a fast internet connection again, but spent the day traveling to Berkeley, California, and getting information off of my crashing computer to place on my brand-new laptop. I also finally got Microsoft Office (free, from my mission agency!) and installed it.

Today I've gotten lots of correspondence done (both snail mail and e-mail), and hope to begin working on learning my new expense account system. Very fun!

Today we celebrated my brother-in-law Gregor's birthday. We had cake and fruit for breakfast (!), hung around, and went out to a very cool local hardware store. The owners were super-knowledgeable, and Gregor got items on his list and I got an adapter and several plug converters. Electronics items are very expensive in Argentina. Gregor found out why: there is a 50% customs duty on all electronics. When I was down there I saw a stereo comparable to my $35 CD/tape/radio for over $100. Sadly, international shipping no longer exists, and all items must be sent via air mail (much more expensive). It's still worthwhile to send my cheap-o radio and my printer. I'm also bringing my electric toothbrush (tee-hee!), which is very lightweight and does not often require plugging in. I may eventually have my DVD player sent. I didn't often watch movies, and I will be able to see them on my computer.

Fun pictures coming soon!