Thursday, January 31, 2008

Getting to know things

Well, I'm continuing to get to know things better here. A dear friend of Annie's, and a lovely woman, called me just now to tell me she just connected the answering service for my phone, so I'll be able to get messages.

This morning Margarita came to clean the apartment. That's right. Included in the rent is a cleaning every other week, which is marvelous because if you've ever traveled you know that every country uses such different systems to clean! Also, although it sounds like a huge luxury in the US, most of the missionaries I have known have help with the cleaning. Margarita helped me with other things, too: stains on clothing that I was about to give up on, removal of a zipper so that I can take it to the sewing shop to buy a new one (and a colleague of hers will repair for $1), etc. She is also a beautiful sister, and we had a great spiritual talk as well.

I finally took a siesta, but I was pushed to it from not feeling well. This evening I get to have supper with Silvia and Horacio, the couple that will be moving to the slum Baradero. I plan to go there with them for the weekend as well, and so I wanted to rest up.

Stay tuned because I've taken some pictures of the apartment that I will post soon!